Thursday, January 8, 2009

Day is done...

gone the sun. from the earth, from the hills from the sky, blablablablablabla. That is what I remember from a song I learned in Girl scouts or Brownies when I was a kid.


Spent most of today dealing with an incompetent service provider for my soon to be former company. Exhausting that people like that have jobs when hundreds of thousands of other people who could do the job better are getting laid off. This economy is a hoot.


The buying club driver told me today that all their local drivers were laid off. Rumor that a certain software company is going to lay-off 20% of its workforce. HTI laying off 25% this month. Best buy offering buy-outs to get people off the payroll. Seems things aren't going to turn around anytime soon. It took at least eight years to create this mess, I suppose it will take at least that to get it back to something good.


What does an economic depression mean to us in this day and age? I heard some about the depression from my great grandma years ago. I remember when we were cleaning out her house after she passed away I found she had saved nearly everything. Old zippers, buttons, empty take-out containers, pine-cones, old hearing aid batteries, old nylons stockings, random pieces of animal hide taken from old clothing I guess, and more. She was saving thinking that at some point anything would be worth something. I feel like doing that now. I feel like stock piling food, saving money, selling the house and going somewhere cheaper, buying cheap shampoo, trading organic for conventional, closing the cell phone account, turning off lights, turning down the heat, getting a second and third job, etc. But that is silly right? Or is it? I don't know.


What I know for sure is that I don't want it to taint my boys childhood...I guess it would be good for them to learn they should be frugal and save (I could have benefited from that lesson) but they shouldn't worry. That said, I need to watch what I say around them.


Things as they are, with starting a new job, the economy, a family to take care of....someone like myself who is a worrier and thinker needs to try to put things into perspective. Compared to a lot of people we are doing well and are very lucky. I must stay a hard worker and a good mother and that is what I intend to do.


Here it is the middle of winter and I am ready for spring. A quick look through the pictures I took last May 23rd brought a reminder of the prettier landscape to come. The seed and bulb catalogs are already arriving-- HOPE!

1 comment:

  1. Yes. We turned down the heat today and it's damn cold in here. We're eating more dry beans and figuring out how to consume less. I guess it's a plus that all these money-saving things are usually better for the earth, too. That hammock picture makes me really depressed. Maybe Obama will make spring come early, too.

    ReplyDelete