Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The World

My world has been a bit wobbly the last month or so. Getting laid off from a company I have worked for over six years sure has been a trip! First the freak out about how to pay bills, find a job in this economy, childcare and then the best part...the emotional ringer this has put me through.

In the past, when a company I worked for had layoff's I was always safe. We all sort of knew that layoffs were a good way to weed out non-performers. But this, this was something different. This wasn't predictable, had nothing to do with productivity, performance, etc...this was all about money. I have spent the last four weeks training in my replacement. The whole thing has been very, very, very demoralizing. The only thing that saved my brain from exploding through all of this was that I was very lucky to find a great NEW job and secure the offer within three weeks of having been laid off.

I must admit, for a moment the thought of not working and collecting unemployment didn't sound so bad...and I think I would have rested with that idea if it were summer vs. the middle of winter. I could have used the time to garden, play with the kids, relax....but my work ethic got the best of me...oh and the whole "pay the mortgage" thing. I even went ahead and found a second job, so I now pick up hours at a local deli/coffee shop on the weekend.

Someday we will all look back on the Depression of 08 and 09 and dish forth knowledge to the young'ins about how to watch your back, save, and work hard.

Meanwhile, at the dining room table...our in-house map maker and inventor (a precocious 4 year old) has been busy sketching up alternate worlds for us to live in. First there was the Raccoon World and then he created another more interesting world for us to live in...I will let him explain. It sounds like a great place to live...and if Obama hadn't won the election- I think we would have moved here.


No comments:

Post a Comment